Final Sunday

Sunday, August 15, 2010
One of my first thoughts upon regaining consciousness this morning was, "It's my last early Sunday!" Much to my delight, I won't be rising before dark this winter on cold and rainy Sunday mornings to trudge over to open up the church.

I opened up the church, then planned to attend Mass at 8am. Lo and behold, no readers showed up, so I offered to pinch-hit. Unfortunately, the same thing happened at the next Mass and I was very grateful when the pattern was broken at the third Mass -- I don't think I could have sat through Round 3 of the Feast of the Assumption of Mary!

Even though there were lots of people saying goodbyes, I held it together very well today until a young man with Down Syndrome threw his arms around me and said, "I'll miss you so much!" -- after that I got a little teary. Another little girl in my youth group gave me a gift from her family, a beautiful handmade glass moose, and a very touching card. Above all, I'm really going to miss the young people in the parish. They've been wonderful, fun and hilarious, and I will remember them forever, I'm sure.

After work I scooted out and started on the packing and cleaning again. Four days left. Tomorrow: The final chapter of Summer Camp.

0 comments:

Site Meter